What is genetic testing and how it can help you or your child?
Genetic testing uses laboratory methods to look at your genes, which are the DNA instructions you inherit from your mother and your father. Genetic tests may be used to identify increased risks of health problems, to choose treatments, or to assess responses to treatments.
Genetic testing can help to:
- Diagnose a disease
- Determine how severe a disease is or can be
- Identify changes in your gene(s) that cause a diagnosis
- Help your doctor choose the best treatment and medicine for you or your baby
- Identify changes in your gene(s) that can increase your risk of developing a disease
- Identify changes in your genes that could be passed on to your children (carrier screening)
- Screen newborns for certain treatable disorders
For more information on genetic testing please visit: https://www.genome.gov/19516567/faq-about-genetic-testing/